Yemen. Gaza. Iraq. Ukraine. And looking back a little further: South Sudan. Syria. Central African Republic. We are in a world where huge catastrophes have almost become commonplace. We see how eruptions of violence can bubble out of control and …
Yves Daccord, Director General of the International Committee of the Red Cross
Yves Daccord, born in 1964, holds a B.A. in political science. A former journalist, he joined the ICRC in 1992 and worked in Israel and the occupied and autonomous territories, Sudan, Yemen, the northern Caucasus and Georgia. He returned to ICRC headquarters in 1997 to take up the post of deputy head of the Division for the Promotion of International Humanitarian Law. In 1998 he was appointed head of the Communication Division and then director of Communication in 2002, a post he held until his appointment as director-general in 2010.
Related content and links
Please note: this blog is no longer being updated. Read our final post for how to stay in touch.
On this blog DFID staff share their personal experiences of helping to eliminate extreme poverty across the developing world.
- Looking for DFID Bloggers? 14 October 2016
- South Africa and the search for a better life 25 November 2015
- Entering the final phase of the Civil Society Partnership Review 10 November 2015
- Putting digital principles into practice in our aid programmes 10 November 2015
- More coffee, less conflict 9 November 2015